There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

From Each and Every One

Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.
(John 8:11)

Jesus knew she was guilty.
Everyone knew it.

Caught in the act
of adultery,
a sin so grievous,
so shameful,
the Law of Moses
demanded
she die.

Yet Jesus –
God from God,
Light from Light –
told her,
“Neither do I condemn you.
Go and sin no more.”

Sometimes I think we think
God stands at the edge of heaven
watching,
waiting for us
to do wrong
so He can “get” us,
so He can smack us to the ground.
Give us cancer.
Kill our child.
Take our home.
Teach us a lesson.
Show us who’s boss.

We expect Him to say,
with ominous warning in His voice,
“Go and sin no more.”
But who expects Him
to preface it with,
“I don’t condemn you”?

Christ’s comforting word
to a woman
worthy of death
reminds me
God does not watch
and wait
for a chance to
whip us.

He watches
without condemnation,
He waits,
without revenge,
hoping that we,
in humility,
repent.

As St. John promised,
if we confess our sins,
God will forgive our sins
and cleanse us
from each –
from every –
one.*

No matter how
grievous,
or shameful
it is.

*1 John 1:9

No comments: