There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Contemplating the Mystery of Christ Through Art

Usually the things I post here have to do with my own contemplations of Christ. Today, however, I want to share with you the contemplations of another.

As Nancy (my wife of 35 years) contemplates the mysteries and majesty of Jesus, her thoughts move in the direction of color, nuance and pattern. Log onto the link I provided and take a quiet, unhurried look at her expressions of faith: http://tinyurl.com/2a5tyqf

Here is a copy of the Press Release:
Artist NANCY MAFFEO of GIG HARBOR, WASHINGTON has received two Special Recognition Merit Awards for artwork in the "12th Annual Collage, Digital & Mixed Media Juried Online International Art Exhibition" hosted by Upstream People Gallery.

This international exhibition received approximately 200 entries from around the world and 40 artists were selected by the juror Laurence Bradshaw, Professor of Art at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, U. S. A. Professor Bradshaw states this about this specially recognized work:

"'NANCY MAFFEO of GIG HARBOR, WASHINGTON presents works of faith in her works as seen in the assemblage “Jesus I Trust In You” with text helping to discern the message. And in her piece “The Eternal Wound” she shows a kind of monstrance with the host indicating that it is truly the Body and Blood of the Lord."'

The exhibition will be featured online at http://www.upstreampeoplegallery.com/ and continue for 12 months, closing May 31, 2011.

The artist has provided a commentary about this specially awarded work:

“The Eternal Wound” came out of a need to express concepts and issues I had been exploring for several years: the eternal glory of Christ, and His body broken for us all. Initially, I was only interested in creating a raised place on the canvas and using that area as a starting place for a torso. The more I worked on the flesh tones, the more I wanted to isolate the image of an open wound. I had a circular frame which was a perfect fit. Its shape and decorative curves complimented the edges of the sculpted paint on the canvas. I liked the idea of a framed image. It was a natural outflow of my exploration of “frame” as a relief platform for assemblage, or as layers that are in themselves part of the over-all image. I added gold trim to the frame much in the same manner as a halo or monstrance. The result was gratifying and consistent with my desire to offer images that provoke and allow a starting place for reflective thought.

“Jesus I Trust In You” began as an exploration of the traditional image of the Divine Mercy painting. I narrowed my focus to the area of the heart. Then I coupled that image with one of the Sacred Heart, which I had been exploring for several months. The words, as a collage element, were a staring point for me. I was also exploring draping material and how I might make use of shear material over an entire surface. I worked on this piece for several weeks, but in the end decided it was a failed attempt. But I do not ever toss anything. A year later, I began using thick acrylic paint and gel embedded with various materials. I discovered a particular piece that was a perfect shape and color to compliment my “failed attempt” of a draped heart. That addition, and an infusion of a mixed red glaze seeping through the material, finally created the perfect contrast for the words, “Jesus I Trust In You.” I have found this piece personally satisfying and reflective."'

Further information about the work can be found by clicking on the virus-free links below:
http://www.upstreampeoplegallery.com/gallery/view.asp?RN=16696&XD=6/1/2010&AN=Lazorko%2C+Anthony&PREV=16606&NEXT=

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tell Nancy, please, that these pieces are worthy of contemplation. I especially liked "Where Is Your Heart ... " but I'm probably too artistically inarticulate to give an intelligent reason.