There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

What Do We Do?


This has got to be one of the saddest verses in the Bible:



“Nevertheless, many even of the rulers believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing Him, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God. (John 12:42-43)



A sad verse, but there are others like it. For example, a few chapters earlier in chapter nine we find the story of the blind man. After Jesus healed him, the religious leaders asked his parents if the man really was his son – and if he had REALLY been born blind.



Now the sad part:



“We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind; but how he now sees, we do not know; or who opened his eyes, we do not know. Ask him; he is of age, he will speak for himself.” His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews; for the Jews had already agreed that if anyone confessed Him to be Christ, he was to be put out of the synagogue. For this reason his parents said, “He is of age; ask him.” (John 9:20-23)



Craving other’s approval over God’s, or fear of being ostracized because of our relationship with the Savior, were not reactions limited to the first century. We find the same cravings and fears all around us – even in the Church.



As I type this onto my screen, a simple song we sang in the 70s comes to mind:



“I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.”



“Though none go with me, I still will follow;
Though none go with me, I still will follow;
Though none go with me, I still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.”



“The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.”



Please read those lyrics one more time. As you do, think about those two texts in John’s gospel. We ought to ask ourselves – and be quiet enough to hear in our hearts our answer:



“What do I do with Jesus when following Him interferes with my social life?”


No comments: