There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Mustard Seed




As I read the text the other day, a memory resurfaced of a discussion I had many years ago with someone who used this passage as evidence of errors in the Bible. He correctly told me the mustard seed is not the smallest of all the seeds. Neither is the mustard plant, when it is full grown, larger than all other garden plants.


I remember how pleased he seemed to be to have proven the Scriptures have scientific errors.


I don’t know why that memory resurfaced. I learned long ago such arguments are specious at worst, and just plain silly at best. It is illogical to take what is clearly proverbial style – or symbolic, or allegorical figures of speech – and insist on scientific accuracy.


But there is something else that ought to be considered here. Something more important than silly or specious arguments.


When people look for contradictions in the Bible to prove God a liar, they should be more circumspect. Not everyone looking for a boat bound for Tarshish will meet the merciful God in the storm. Many may find themselves swallowed by the water, and not miraculously protected by the fish.


Eternal life is too critical a destiny to miss because we insist on precision in a style of speech.

No comments: