There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

If I Am Not Careful


So teach us to number our days, that we may
present to You a heart of wisdom
(Psalm 90:12)

 
Pride so often whispers in my ear,
stroking my ego,
telling me how important I am –
or how important people should think I am.
 
If I'm not careful,
I might start to believe
such nonsense about myself;
 
If I'm not careful,
I might forget the Apostle’s words, 
“What do you have
that you did not receive?
But if you received it,
why do you boast
as if you had not received it?”*
 
I might presume
my strength and my skill 
apart from Christ
achieves anything
of eternal worth.
 
I might forget
though Christ calls me “friend”
I am His slave.
Though God’s son,
I am His servant. 
 
I might forget
I’ve been bought
with an astounding price**
that I am not my own,
but I belong to Him.
 
I might forget
Calvary’s cross must fall across
my every work and word,
arising until retiring,
that at all times, in all ways,          
in all my life,
Christ must increase;
I must decrease.
 
If I’m not careful
I might forget
the Lord Jesus will return –
 
O! Come! Lord Jesus –  
 
If I'm not careful
I might forget
the Lord Jesus will return
for a people set apart
by profound commitment to Him,
for a people who do not forget
who they are
and to Whom they belong;
For a people preparing themselves
daily
to greet Him in holiness
when the trumpet sounds.
 
 
*1 Corinthians 4:7
** 1 Corinthians 6:20

No comments: